- Salad with Butternut Squash, Lentils, & Feta, from DALS, using the salad greens on sale this week and omitting the pecans.
- The Indonesian Chicken from last week didn’t work out…dried out in the crock pot. So this week, we’ll try Polynesian pork. Rice and mixed veggies on the side.
- Crisp rice cakes with stir fried vegetables and chicken (TFMCB, p. 324)
- Beer-glazed [pinto beans] with chorizo and orange (TFMCB, p. 397, and kind of like this)
Category: Meals for the week
Meals for Jan 29-Feb 4
Here’s our meals for this week…
- Pasta with Asparagus, Bacon and Egg (TFMCB p. 219)
- Pork Shoulder Ragu (in crock pot)
- Mexican Torta, Saving Dinner p. 143
- Crock-pot Chicken Indonesian with broccoli from Saving Dinner, p. 190, also here.
Meals for Jan 22-29, 2011
Not much on sale at Publix this week, and lots of meals from Mark Bittman’s The Food Matters Cook Book (TFMCB), but here are the meals…
- Pizza that we didn’t get around to making last week
- Frozen Sweet Potato and Gruyere Turnovers.
- Pasta with Pureed Red Beans and Shiitakes (TFMCB p. 214)–using baby portobellos and adding one leftover chicken and apple sausage.
- Lemony Zucchini Risotto (TFMCB p. 302)
- Crisp and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas with beef (TFMCB p. 410, also here).
- Chicken pot pie, based on something like this.
- BBQ meatballs and Creamed Spinach made with no Cream.
- 1 lbs ground beef, 1 chopped onion, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 egg, salt and pepper, 1 tsp sage, 1 tsp rosemary
- Form meatballs and brown in skillet. Add to crock pot with 1 jar BBQ sauce. Cook on low.
Update 1/23: While I can find no corroborating evidence online to link to, our calendar has Jan 23rd listed as National Meatloaf Day…so we’ve reworked the menu and today will be an old favorite: Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Meatloaf.
Meals for Jan 16-22, 2011
This week’s meals: a couple more from The Food Matters Cook Book…and a few other things from around the web. Finish it off with a couple old favorites.
- Teriyaki noodles with asparagus and chicken (TFMCB).
- Chipotle quinoa with corn and black beans (and a bit of steak) (TFMCB)
- Sweet and sour pork–something we made last week reminded the kids about this and they’ve been asking for it. Adding a bag of stir fry veggies to bump up the veggie content.
- Sausage and spinach quiche.
- Homemade pizza
- Grilled sausages with broccoli on the side.
- Sweet Potato and Gruyere turnovers: the Sept 2010 issue of Real Simple scaled this up for a meal swap. We make it and freeze. You get four amazingly delicious meals ready to throw in the oven and eat–freezer to table in 45 minutes! A bit expensive with all the Swiss chard and gruyere, but SO worth it! We make our own whole wheat pie crust: for 8 crusts (yes it’s a lot, but remember this makes 4 meals!): mix 4 cups white flour, 4 cups whole wheat flour, 1-2 tsp salt. Cut in 1 cup butter and 1 1/3 cup vegetable shortening. Add about 1 1/2 cups ice cold water with a bit of lemon and mix. You will probably need another 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water to get the right consistency.
Let’s get going…
Not sure how to start this blog off other than to just post this week’s meals…so here we go:
- Campfire casserole from Leanne Ely’s Saving Dinner
- Panini using Mostly Whole Wheat Baguettes with Bulgar from Mark Bittman’s The Food Matters Cook Book (TFMCB). With ham, brie and apples.
- Pasta with smashed peas, prosciutto and scallions from TFMCB.
- Lemony-Chicken with Potatoes and Beans from Dinner a Love Story.
- Chicken Bulgar Skillet from Taste of Home.
- A freezer meal we made a while ago, Cranberry Chicken from Gourmet Mom on The Go.