Florida doesn’t have much in the way of winter, but there are a few weeks when a nice, hearty soup makes a great dinner. This was fast to throw together and everyone ate it up. I adapted this from SparklePeople. You could use hot Italian Sausage for a spicier version.
Italian Tortellini Soup
- 1 package Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage casings removed
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can 14-1/2 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package cheese and meat tortellini
- 1 package 9 oz fresh baby spinach
- 2 tsp minced fresh basil or 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven over medium-high heat
- Add the onion.
- Cook stirring now and then until meat is no longer pink.
- Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes
- Add the broth and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in tortellini; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach, basil, peppers.
- Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.
- Serve topped with Parmesan.