I am sure the original recipe from Half Baked Harvest is better, but it looks a bit too involved for a weeknight dinner, and I am not sure what Gochujang sauce is, or if it’s safe for nut and fish allergies. Even with the simplifications we made, this was a definite hit with everyone and we’ll surely make it again.
Not sure what kind of noodles the original really called for, but the store bought fried chow mien noodles worked just fine and didn’t need frying again. Speaking of which, not sure what the deal is with frying the chicken twice as the original called for…we just did it once. And Sriracha sauce worked fine for some kick in place of the gochujang sauce.
Simplified Korean Chicken Tacos with Sweet Slaw, Crunchy Noodles and Queso Fresco
For the fried chicken
- 2 cloves garlic grated with microplane
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger grated with microplane
- 3 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1 1/2 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs Olive oil--original called for sesame which is probably better, but we didn't have
- 1 Tbs honey
- 2/3 Cup Flour
- 1 Tbs Cornstarch
- 1 Lb Chicken breast or thighs cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 Lb Chow mein noodles
- 1 pkg Coleslaw mix about 3 cups
- 2 Spicy red chiles seeded + sliced
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 2 tsp Fresh ginger grated
- 1 Tbs Soy sauce
- 2 Tbs Honey
- 2 Tbs Rice vinegar
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 Lime juiced
Putting it all together
- 8 warmed flour tortillas
- queso fresco
- fresh cilantro
- Mix the slaw dressing in a medium bowl.
- Add the coleslaw and red chills and toss to coat everything.
- Put in the fridge while you make the rest of the dish.
The Chicken Sauce
- In a large bowl (the cooked chicken will be tossed in this bowl later) mix the first 7 ingredients.
- Set aside.
- Heat an half inch of oil in a skillet.
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, and 2/3 cup water in another bowl.
- Add chicken chunks and toss.
- Working in batches, fry chicken until golden, 6–8 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Add the chicken to the bowl with the sauce and toss well.
- Divide the chicken among the warmed taco shells. Top with slaw, crunchy noodles, cilantro and queso fresco.