I found this recipe on Once Upon a Cutting Board a while ago and have made it twice already. The first time I made it, I was looking for a potluck dish and had the ingredients on hand. But since I didn’t want to deal with transporting a pizza to a potluck, I rolled out the dough, cut circles out and lined muffin tins with the dough. I added topping and baked. They were a real hit at the party! It was so good that we decided to make for dinner as regular pizzas.
Sweet Potato, Caramelized Onion and BBQ Cheddar Pizza
- 2 Medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced into about ½-inch pieces
- 2 Large sweet onions peeled, halved and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tbs Olive oil
- Ground pepper
- 1 ball of pizza dough or 4 pieces of whole wheat naan bread
- 4-6 Tbs BBQ sauce
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375--if you are using a pizza stone, put that in now.
- Dice the sweet potatoes and toss with about 1 Tbs of olive oil.
- Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 20-30 minutes or until nicely browned.
- While that is cooking, heat the other Tbs of olive oil in a pan and sauté the onions on medium heat stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Add a grinding of pepper and the sugar.
- Continue sautéing for another 15-20 minutes. The onions should be deeply browned.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven and bump the temp up to 450 or so to cook the pizza.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, onions and BBS sauce in a bowl and mix. If you are mixing muffins, add about half of the cheddar cheese here too.
- For pizzas, roll out the dough, top with the onions and potatoes. Top with cheese and bake.
- For muffins, roll out the dough, cut rounds big enough to line the muffin cups, and put the dough in the cups. Add the onions and potatoes, top with remaining cheddar and bake.