TheKitchn, one of my favorite recipe sites featured these broccoli breadcrumbs. In looking for a good casserole to put these on, I found this Spicy Sausage and Penne Casserole. The two were made for each other. A good way to add some veggies to a casserole!
Spicy Sausage and Penne Casserole with Broccoli Breadcrumbs
- 12 oz Box of whole wheat Penne pasta
- 1 Package of andouille sausage thinly sliced (about 12 oz)
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper chopped
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tsp Creole seasoning
- A good grinding of pepper
- 2 medium broccoli heads finely chopped
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 2-quart casserole.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain, rinse, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage with onion and red peppers until things start to brown.
- Put the mixture on a plate.
- Melt butter in the same skillet over medium heat
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add the milk
- Add creole seasoning.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the drained pasta and sausage mixture.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While that's cooking, chop the broccoli and toss with olive oil.
- Top the casserole with the broccoli and bake for another 10 minutes.