This salad goes really well with the Spinach Quiche, though would be great anytime you have extra zucchini. Both the quiche and salad are originally from SmittenKitchen. The salad can be made while the quiche is cooking.
This is a great recipe for pulling out the mandoline, without which I think it would be hard to get the zucchini sliced thin enough. But with the mandoline, it takes only a few minutes of hands on time to quickly slice up a couple of zucchinis. Then you just throw some salt on them and let them rest for a while. Drain and dry them off and toss with parmesan, lemon juice and olive oil. Even the zucchini-disliking kids liked zucchini in this form.
Zucchini Carpaccio Salad
- 1 1/2 lbs zucchini about 2 large
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 pound arugula lettuce mix, spinach or other greens
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 3 Tbs lemon juice ~1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cut zucchini into paper-thin rounds with a mandoline adjusted about as thin as it can be.
- Toss zucchini slices with one teaspoon salt in a colander set over a bowl or in the sink to drain 20 minutes.
- Rinse zucchini slices well, and drain. Pat dry with a clean towel or paper towels.
- Put greens in a large bowl.
- Add the zucchini.
- Sprinkle with cheese and pepper.
- Drizzle oil and lemon juice over greens and toss.