Based on this recipe from Food.com, we made these tasty chicken patties. We had originally planned on using beef, but somehow forgot to get that when we went shopping (could it have been the kids fighting over who got to push the grocery cart?). The chicken and spinach worked well together and these were quite yummy. Took about an hour and a half start to finish (including the mid-course redirection to using chicken).
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg to pain on top of filled patties
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1.5 lbs Chicken cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 T curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, but not drained
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic, cook 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, curry, cumin, and pepper.
- Cook until cooked through.
- Stir in stock, breadcrumbs and spinach.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed. (aprox.10 minutes).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, turmeric, curry, and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in water until mixture forms a ball.
- Shape dough into a log, and cut into 10 equal sections.
- Roll each section into a circle (approximately 1/8 inch thick).
- Spoon equal amounts of filling into each pastry circle.
- Fold over making a half circle and press edges together. Use a fork to press edges, and brush the top of each patty with beaten egg.
- Cook for 25- 30 minutes at 375˚