The CSA had a nice bunch of flowers this week along with carrots, beets, broccoli, cabbage, salad mix, Brussels sprouts, collards, dill and peas. As I was picking this up, I was thinking “Oh no…more cabbage, what am I going to do with more cabbage??” But then I found TheKitchn’s Roasted Cabbage with Bacon and I am looking forward to more cabbage!
- Roasted Root Vegetable and Chicken Tacos
- Roasted Cabbage with Bacon (add the few Brussels sprouts) and Burgers
- Pizza night with one Shrimp and Dill Pizza and one sausage, green pepper and onion pizza
- Salad with peas and radishes and sausage
- Ham and Broccoli Frittata
- Grilled Pork Chops with Perfect Corn Muffins and Collards
- Nachos, tacos or burritos
This week’s CSA goodies: cabbage, dill, scallions, spinach, lettuce, salad mix, celery, cauliflower, carrots, baby kale, and some flowers. With the heat last week, we kept trying to turn things into salads…looks like we’ve got lots of good salad fixin’s here.
- Baby Kale and Strawberry Summer Salad, adding grilled chicken
- Turkey Reubens and Sweet potato fries
- Cream of Celery Soup with Bacon with grilled cheese sandwiches
- Sweet and Spicy Shrimp with Greens with Avocado and Grapefruit
- Spinach and Cheese Pizza
- Moroccan-Spiced Cauliflower and Carrot Salad
The CSA returns! The spring season started up this week and we got quite a bit of stuff, though I didn’t get the list, so we’re working from my limited ability to identify some things…Turnips vs rutabagas? Anyway, I think we’re working with: Cabbage, lemons, rutabagas, Brussels sprouts, beets, carrots, collards, fennel, bock choy, broccoli, chard, and arugula.
- Roasted Rosemary Brussels and Rutabaga with Burgers
- Orecchiette with Chorizo and Swiss Chard
- Fennel and Cabbage Slaw and Turkey Paninis with Bacon, Arugula and Caramelized Onions
- Roasted Beet Salad with Bacon, [Collards], and [Feta] and BBQ Chicken
- Maple Glazed Tofu with Garlic Bok Choy
Sorry we missed last week–too much going on. We’re also in a break between seasons for the CSA, so no CSA until March. I guess that lets us revisit some old favorite sites and back off on how in the heck am I going to use daikon–though I must say the cheddar bacon daikon fries are really good. I’ll try to keep up the veggie content. That’s one thing we had noticed withe the CSA–when you plan meals around the veggies you have, you end up with more veggies in you meals than when you add them in to try and round out the meal.
- Mini Fennel And Prawn Spring Rolls
- Skillet Chicken Tamale Pie
- Sausage, Kale and Mushroom Galette
- Broccoli and Beef
- Gnocchi with Bacon and Escarole
No CSA photo this week, but quite a collection of veggies: Carrots, beets, daikon, rutabaga, chives, butter and romaine lettuce, red choy, sweet potatoes, collards, kohlrabi, spinach and a flower. We also still have some dill, kale and cabbage left over from previous weeks.
- Cabbage Bierocks, adding carrots and other veggies?
- Skillet Sausage and Kale Pesto Pizzas
- Vietnamese Slow Cooker Chicken with Bok Choy [and Collards]
- Roasted carrots, sweet potatoes, beets and kohlrabi with BBQ Sausages
- Ham and Beet Greens Quiche with Cheddar and Parmesan
- Daikon Fries with Cheddar and Bacon and Salads
Just back from a weekend of camping and a crazy week ahead, but we’ll figure out some meals here to use this week’s CSA portion: sweet potatoes, rutabagas, carrots, daikon, scallions, lettuce, collards, dill, broccoli and spinach.
- Carrot Soup with Dill and parmesan toast and Salad
- Chicken, Broccoli and Mushroom Stir Fry with Daikon Miso Soup
- Warm Spinach Salad with Fried Egg and [Sweet] Potatoes and Rutabaga Custard Pie for desert
- Pasta with Italian Sausage and Collard Greens
A bit of a crazy week with evening meetings coming up, but a nice long weekend ahead first, so hopefully there’s a good balance of quick and easy and somewhat more involved meals here. The CSA this week included: sweet potatoes, carrots, scallions, beets, mint, rutabagas, collards, parsley and lettuce.
- With all the parsley we have some Quinoa Tabbouleh with Burgers with Feta-Yogurt Sauce and Mint
- Beet, Bacon and Goat Cheese Pizza
- Lemony Carrot and Cauliflower Soup with grilled cheese sandwiches
- Orzo with Caramelized Fall Vegetables
- A salad with: Lettuce, sautéed ham cubes, oranges. An cornbread
- Crab sushi
The CSA has started back up with a great collection of veggies: lettuce, parsley, beets, turnips, rutabaga’s broccoli (1 regular and 1 Chinese), kale, cauliflower, cabbage and sweet potatoes.
One thing we’ve noticed in the past couple of months, and realized again during the CSA break, is that the CSA has us eating a lot more veggies. They tend to end up much more prominent on the dinner plate than they do when I look for recipes that look good and then throw on a veggie to make a meal.
- Rutabaga with Caramelized Onions and Apples, adding sausage with Beet Greens
- Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower, [Broccoli], Parsley and Breadcrumbs
- Garlicky Mushrooms and Kale, I think going with the non-vegan suggestions of topping with a poached egg and side of cheesy polenta
- Autumn Chop Salad with Roasted Beets, Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- A simplified version of Cuban Chicken and Black Bean Quinoa Bowls
- 30-minute Healthy Kickin’ Cajun Chicken and Rice
And for one breakfast this weekend:
Egg, Arugula and Herb Tertine