Sounds like we should eat all the avocados we can between drought and Laurel Wilt, the industry has seen better days. I ran across this recipe on Vegan Richa trying to find something new to do with kale, and am very happy we tried it out. It wasn’t as complicated as it looks, but a good weekend recipe. While you could certainly leave out the sausage and keep things vegan, it was a nice addition.
Avocado Naan Flatbread with Garlic Kale, Acorn Squash and Sausage
For the Naan:
- 1/2 Cup Warm water
- 1 tsp Yeast
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Avocado mashed
- 1/4 Cup Basil chopped
- 2 T Nutritional yeast
- 1 Green chili finely chopped (optional)
For the Garlic Kale with squash and sausage:
- 1 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 Bunch kale washed, stems cut out and sliced
- 2-6 Cloves Garlic minced, depending on how garlicky you want it
- 1/2 Butternut squash peeled and diced
- 1 Pack Pre-cooked Sausages sliced
Making the Naan:
- Mix the water, yeast and sugar in a bowl and let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add all the dry ingredients and avocado and mix.
- Knead into a soft dough(3-4 minutes).
- Cover and let sit for 1.5 hours or until doubled.
- Add chopped basil, green chili, nutritional yeast
- Knead for a minute to combine well adding flour if needed.
- Divide dough into 6 parts and roll into oval shape
- Heat a pan until very warm (med-high heat)
- Spritz with water and place the naan in the pan.
- Cover and let cook on medium high until it starts to puff.
- Flip after about 1 minute and cover and cook another minute or so
For the Garlic Kale and Sausage:
- Heat a pan add some oil.
- Sautée the squash until starting to soften (~10 min)
- Add the Sausage and continue to cook until browned
- Add the garlic and kale and stir until the kale is wilted
- Serve on Avocado Naan