Somehow I ended up picking a bunch of rice salads a few weeks ago. I think there were 3 on the menu in a couple of weeks–kind of odd given that we rarely make salad with rice…
But they were yummy and I made a couple of cups of brown rice early in the week and put it in the fridge and dinner was ready in no time! Worked out well. Also no cooking, which is always nice on a hot summer day.
This one came from TheKitchn. We switched out the walnuts for sunflower seeds due to allergies and maybe simplified things a bit here and there. With rice in the fridge, this can be ready in about 10 minutes. It’s a very hearty salad that could be a main dish.
Brown Rice Salad with Grapes
For the salad:
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 bag salad greens
- 2 cups red grapes sliced in half
- 1 cup crumbled ricotta salata Trader Joe's has this
For the vinaigrette:
- 3 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs brown mustard
- Cook the rice and cool. I found it easiest to make up a batch of rice in the morning, put it in the fridge for the evening or a day or two later.
- In a large bowl combine the cold rice, sunflower seeds, salad greens. Toss.
- In a small bowl mix the vinaigrette, whisking to mix.
- Pour vinaigrette over the salad and mix.
- Add the grapes and ricotta salata, toss a bit and serve cold.
2 thoughts on “Brown Rice Salad with Grapes”