I was looking for a nice main dish incorporating zucchini the other day and came across this recipe for Zucchini Upside Down Cornbread. I liked the sausage and am always up for cornbread, so we gave it a shot. Not sure about the cooking time they list, I ended up doing about 45 minutes, at least 30 of which were at 425, which is what the cornbread recipe called for. I’d guess 40-45 minutes at 425 is the best bet. It sure looked good when it came out of the oven, but flip it over and wow, it’s a nice looking dish that tastes great and fills you up!
Zucchini and sausage upside down cornbread
Based on Bastrop Farmers Market
2 medium zucchini
1 lb Turkey/Chicken Italian sausage
1/4 cup chopped onions
8 ounces corn muffin mix–or recipe from corn meal container
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425º
- Coarsely shred enough zucchini to make 1/3 cup; set aside. Cut remainder into 1/4-inch slices.
- In skillet, over medium-high heat, brown sausage; crumble well. Add the onion when partially cooked. Remove sausage onions and drain if needed. Reduce heat a bit. Add zucchini slices to pan. Cook over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring twice.
- In a well-sprayed 8×1-1/2 inch round cake pan, starting in center of dish, arrange cooked zucchini slices in concentric circles using all of the slices.
- Make the corn bread mix according to package instructions. Add cheese, crumbled sausage and onions, and shredded zucchini to cornbread batter. Spread mixture evenly over the zucchini slices.
- Bake for 45 minutes, till top is golden.
- Using a spatula, loosen sides of corn bread from dish; invert onto a serving platter.
Makes 6 wedges. Serve warm.
One thought on “Zucchini and saussage upside down cornbread”