- Easy pork tacos
- Anna’s Sausage, Bean and Kale Stew winner of Dinner A Love Story’s recent Go-to Weeknight Dinner contest–lots of good recipes there for ideas for latter. And while I’m adding links for meal ideas, here’s a list of the 100 best Mom Food Blogs…what about Dad food blogs…???
- Dianne’s Mac and Cheese from DALS. Copied below.
- Alisha’s Chicken Fajita pizza from DALS
- Baked Falafel
Dianne // Feb 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm
“Mac and Cheese” with Peas and Tomatoes
Boil water and add one pound of pasta – cook according to directions
Save one cup of pasta water for later and when pasta is done – take hot pasta and mix with one cup ricotta cheese
While pasta is cooking, Saute 2 minced garlic cloves in olive oil
Once garlic has softened, add in about a cup of frozen peas (or more if you think your kids really like them) – season with salt and pepper
After the peas have cooked about 4 minutes, add in the reserved pasta water and let simmer for a few minutes (not too long)
Cut a pint of grape tomatoes in half and throw in with the pea mixture (turn off heat)
Then add in the pasta mixed with the ricotta into the pan until everything is mixed together
Here’s our meals for this week…
- Pasta with Asparagus, Bacon and Egg (TFMCB p. 219)
- Pork Shoulder Ragu (in crock pot)
- Mexican Torta, Saving Dinner p. 143
- Crock-pot Chicken Indonesian with broccoli from Saving Dinner, p. 190, also here.
Not much on sale at Publix this week, and lots of meals from Mark Bittman’s The Food Matters Cook Book (TFMCB), but here are the meals…
- Pizza that we didn’t get around to making last week
- Frozen Sweet Potato and Gruyere Turnovers.
- Pasta with Pureed Red Beans and Shiitakes (TFMCB p. 214)–using baby portobellos and adding one leftover chicken and apple sausage.
- Lemony Zucchini Risotto (TFMCB p. 302)
- Crisp and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas with beef (TFMCB p. 410, also here).
- Chicken pot pie, based on something like this.
- BBQ meatballs and Creamed Spinach made with no Cream.
- 1 lbs ground beef, 1 chopped onion, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 egg, salt and pepper, 1 tsp sage, 1 tsp rosemary
- Form meatballs and brown in skillet. Add to crock pot with 1 jar BBQ sauce. Cook on low.
Update 1/23: While I can find no corroborating evidence online to link to, our calendar has Jan 23rd listed as National Meatloaf Day…so we’ve reworked the menu and today will be an old favorite: Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Meatloaf.
This week’s meals: a couple more from The Food Matters Cook Book…and a few other things from around the web. Finish it off with a couple old favorites.
- Teriyaki noodles with asparagus and chicken (TFMCB).
- Chipotle quinoa with corn and black beans (and a bit of steak) (TFMCB)
- Sweet and sour pork–something we made last week reminded the kids about this and they’ve been asking for it. Adding a bag of stir fry veggies to bump up the veggie content.
- Sausage and spinach quiche.
- Homemade pizza
- Grilled sausages with broccoli on the side.
- Sweet Potato and Gruyere turnovers: the Sept 2010 issue of Real Simple scaled this up for a meal swap. We make it and freeze. You get four amazingly delicious meals ready to throw in the oven and eat–freezer to table in 45 minutes! A bit expensive with all the Swiss chard and gruyere, but SO worth it! We make our own whole wheat pie crust: for 8 crusts (yes it’s a lot, but remember this makes 4 meals!): mix 4 cups white flour, 4 cups whole wheat flour, 1-2 tsp salt. Cut in 1 cup butter and 1 1/3 cup vegetable shortening. Add about 1 1/2 cups ice cold water with a bit of lemon and mix. You will probably need another 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water to get the right consistency.
Not sure how to start this blog off other than to just post this week’s meals…so here we go:
- Campfire casserole from Leanne Ely’s Saving Dinner
- Panini using Mostly Whole Wheat Baguettes with Bulgar from Mark Bittman’s The Food Matters Cook Book (TFMCB). With ham, brie and apples.
- Pasta with smashed peas, prosciutto and scallions from TFMCB.
- Lemony-Chicken with Potatoes and Beans from Dinner a Love Story.
- Chicken Bulgar Skillet from Taste of Home.
- A freezer meal we made a while ago, Cranberry Chicken from Gourmet Mom on The Go.