Here’s the CSA haul for this week…now to figure out how to work it all into Christmas dinner and other meals for a crazy week: sweet potatoes, carrots, daikon, scallions, green and red cabbage, tatsoi, mint, broccoli, hakurei turnips, collards.
- I normally don’t link to PDFs, or recipes built to serve 48, but this Duck Carnitas Daikon Tacos looks doable. We’ll use chicken and scale down as needed.
- Ginger Beef Tatsoi, maybe adding the collards?
- Chipotle-Orange Broccoli and Tofu
- Grilled chicken and Hannah’s Buffalo Style Hakurei Turnips
- Christmas dinner to include sweet potatoes and a slaw with cabbage, orange and cranberries.
We’re starting to get a bit of a backlog of veggies that need to be used up, so some of these recipes may include things from last week. It is that time of year when one activity leads into another and we missed making a meal or two last week while running from work to concerts. This week looks similarly hectic, but we’ll do our best. The CSA veggies this week include: sweet potatoes (now we have enough for a good recipe), carrots, daikon, beets–already used up–one tatsoi that may be a bit small for much, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli , parsley and kale.
- Simmered Chicken with Daikon Radish
- We’ll have to do some improv, since the recipe has a link to another recipe which doesn’t seem to be working and both use peanuts, but Mushroom Kale Rice Bowls seem doable.
- We’ll need to prep this in advance: Cabbage and Onion Marmalade Pizza
- Burgers with something like this Carrot & Mizuna Salad
- The Sweet Potato Samosas we didn’t get to last week
- Hamburger Stir-Fry–using ground turkey.
Last week we had our first CSA veggie casualty–the really good looking head of butter lettuce froze in the fridge before we could use it
Luckily there’s more this week, so we can enjoy some. Here’s what’s in this week’s share: daikon, Napa cabbage, turnips, beets, chard, red and green lettuce, mint, braising mix, garlic chives, and collards.
- [Chicken] Nuggets with [Collards] and Bacon
- Asian Lettuce Wraps with Carrot and Daikon Pickles
- A modified version of [Chard and Broccoli] Quiche with [Purple] Sweet Potato Crust
- Salad with hard boiled eggs and veggies (tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, some garlic chives) with Turnips Anna (While there’s many recipes out there for this, many including bacon, like this tempting one, I couldn’t pass up the ease and coolness of the Cartoon Kitchen version).
- Sweet Potato Samosas
- Chicken of some sort with Roasted Beets, Cabbage and Apples
After a yummy and fun Thanksgiving meal with friends and family, and the awesome Salvadoran Pupusas con Cutrido from TheKitchn from last week’s menu (photos coming soon), I’m ready for some more tasty meals. Here’s this week’s CSA haul: kale, lettuce, tatsoi, sweet potatoes, beets, parsley, rutabagas, broccoli, spinach and scallions.
- Grilled sausages with Carrots and Rutabagas with Lemon and Honey
- A combination of Sweet Potato and Quinoa Tacos and Spinach and Sweet Potato Quesadillas: sweet potatoes, quinoa, spinach, adobo sauce, queso blanco, green pepper, black olives, scallions.
- [Chicken] and Egg Fried Rice with Napa Cabbage, adding broccoli (we still have 1/2 the cabbage from last week…and we just did shrimp, so mix it up and save the budget)
- Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce
- Beet salad with Corn Bread Croutons and [Bacon]
- Orecchiette with Sausage and Kale
- Mushroom and Tatsoi Soup (note this is for 1 serving) and grilled cheese sandwiches
This week we’ve got some more purple potatoes, Napa cabbage, salad greens, kale and arugula–oh and one turnip?? (not sure what to do with that, but we’ll see…). The first recipe is the result of following a chain of ideas from Smitten Kitchen’s Pickled Cabbage Salad, to the comments about this being great for fish tacos (which we can’t do, so shrimp it is!) and the similarity of this recipe to Curtido and TheKitchn’s recipe linked below. So looking forward to this meal!
- Salvadoran Papusas con Curtido (using Napa cabbage) with garlic sautéed shrimp
- Pulled pork (from the freezer) with Fork Crushed Purple Sweet Potatoes
- Spicy Stir-Fried Tofu with Kale
- Risotto with Corn Spicy Sausage and Wilted Arugula
- Humus-Crusted Chicken (just the chicken part of this) with Red Leaf Salad with Oranges
- I think we can get close to this Steak and Wasabi Pea Salad…maybe some left over radishes can be added to this?
Here’s what we’re working with from the CSA: Purple sweet potatoes, radishes, green beans, arugula, spinach, scallions, baby bok choy, parsley, red lettuce.
- Roasted [Purple] Sweet Potato, Wild Rice and Arugula Salad, adding ham cubes
- Sweet and Spicy Orange Chicken with Baby Bok Choy
- Vietnamese Chicken Sandwiches (on potato rolls)
- Kale and Sweet Potato Pizza with Salads
- Grilled Sausages with Winter Squash and Spinach Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette
- Salads and something along the lines of Grilled Cheese and Fried Egg Sandwiches
- Green Beans with Parsley-Lemon Pesto and grilled chicken
Here’s this week’s recipes. I’ll try and get some of the recipes as we made them posted with photos soon–there’s been some really good ones! The arugula pizza was good enough I almost added it back in this week (even the kids loved it!) but I found a couple of other yummy looking ways to use arugula.
- Roasted Daikon Radish, Carrots and Peppers with Bacon Arugula BLTs
- Shrimp and Egg Fried Rice with Napa Cabbage
- Chicken with Goat Cheese and Arugula with garlic sautéed eggplant
- Green Bean Quiche, adding ham
- Baked Turnip Chips, Cider Vinegar-Braised Greens, and Burgers
Fall is actually supposed to arrive in Florida this weekend. There had been talk of chilly trick-or-treaters, but it looks like the cold won’t be here until tomorrow. We’re expecting lows in the 30s tomorrow and Sunday!! Here’s some recipes to use up this week’s CSA goodies.
- Pasta with Broccoli Rabe and Sausage
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Crunchy Bok Choy Slaw
- Lemon Arugula Pizza with Goat Cheese
- Braised Greens and Cannellini Bean Panini
- Fried Chickpeas on Naan with Green Beans with Bacon Vinaigrette
- Fall Vegetable Quinoa Soup
- BBQ Chicken with Butter Baked Turnips
This is week two of our CSA, and while I had hoped to make a habit of adding a photo, this week caught us off guard with a school holiday and scout camping trip. So, we’re a bit late in posting, and everything’s in fridge. So here’s what we have for the week:
- Lemony Kale Quinoa with Sausages
- Beef Tataki using the Breakfast Radishes (and doubling the carrots and radishes called for in the recipe)
- Turnips and Radishes in Mustard Sauce adding the turnip greens, with Rotisserie Chicken
- Bok Choy and Green Beans with Brown Rice
- Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Cilantro Burritos
We’ve frequently considered joining a CSA, but something always got in the way. This year, a number of things fell into place and we’ve gotten ourselves a share of the Swallowtail Farms CSA. Here’s this week’s veggies (and flowers!) and the recipes that use these up.
- Cornflake-Crusted Chicken with Turnip Greens and corn bread muffins
- Grilled Sausages with Mashed Turnips with Crispy Bacon
- Buttery Shrimp and Radish Pasta
- BBQ Grilled Chicken with Sweet Potatoes, Apples and Braising Greens
- Nachos with peppers, ground beef, black beans and Arugula Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Mushrooms (Need some extra sweet potatoes)
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup Mini Pies