No CSA photo this week, but quite a collection of veggies: Carrots, beets, daikon, rutabaga, chives, butter and romaine lettuce, red choy, sweet potatoes, collards, kohlrabi, spinach and a flower. We also still have some dill, kale and cabbage left over from previous weeks.
- Cabbage Bierocks, adding carrots and other veggies?
- Skillet Sausage and Kale Pesto Pizzas
- Vietnamese Slow Cooker Chicken with Bok Choy [and Collards]
- Roasted carrots, sweet potatoes, beets and kohlrabi with BBQ Sausages
- Ham and Beet Greens Quiche with Cheddar and Parmesan
- Daikon Fries with Cheddar and Bacon and Salads
Just back from a weekend of camping and a crazy week ahead, but we’ll figure out some meals here to use this week’s CSA portion: sweet potatoes, rutabagas, carrots, daikon, scallions, lettuce, collards, dill, broccoli and spinach.
- Carrot Soup with Dill and parmesan toast and Salad
- Chicken, Broccoli and Mushroom Stir Fry with Daikon Miso Soup
- Warm Spinach Salad with Fried Egg and [Sweet] Potatoes and Rutabaga Custard Pie for desert
- Pasta with Italian Sausage and Collard Greens
A bit of a crazy week with evening meetings coming up, but a nice long weekend ahead first, so hopefully there’s a good balance of quick and easy and somewhat more involved meals here. The CSA this week included: sweet potatoes, carrots, scallions, beets, mint, rutabagas, collards, parsley and lettuce.
- With all the parsley we have some Quinoa Tabbouleh with Burgers with Feta-Yogurt Sauce and Mint
- Beet, Bacon and Goat Cheese Pizza
- Lemony Carrot and Cauliflower Soup with grilled cheese sandwiches
- Orzo with Caramelized Fall Vegetables
- A salad with: Lettuce, sautéed ham cubes, oranges. An cornbread
- Crab sushi
The CSA has started back up with a great collection of veggies: lettuce, parsley, beets, turnips, rutabaga’s broccoli (1 regular and 1 Chinese), kale, cauliflower, cabbage and sweet potatoes.
One thing we’ve noticed in the past couple of months, and realized again during the CSA break, is that the CSA has us eating a lot more veggies. They tend to end up much more prominent on the dinner plate than they do when I look for recipes that look good and then throw on a veggie to make a meal.
- Rutabaga with Caramelized Onions and Apples, adding sausage with Beet Greens
- Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower, [Broccoli], Parsley and Breadcrumbs
- Garlicky Mushrooms and Kale, I think going with the non-vegan suggestions of topping with a poached egg and side of cheesy polenta
- Autumn Chop Salad with Roasted Beets, Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- A simplified version of Cuban Chicken and Black Bean Quinoa Bowls
- 30-minute Healthy Kickin’ Cajun Chicken and Rice
And for one breakfast this weekend:
Egg, Arugula and Herb Tertine
MealsWeLike.com is 4 years old this week! While it’s still a small site, MealsWeLike has worked well for meal planning and organizing our families favorite recipes. Happy New Year and here’s to another great year of yummy food!
No CSA pickup again this week.
- Crockpot Beef and Barley Soup
- Arugula, Turkey, Blueberry and Mozzarella Panini, along the lines of this, inspired by a sandwich from Soup To Nuts food truck, with roasted broccoli
- Buffalo chicken pizza
- Gnocchi and Swiss Chard
- Make your own burrito night with Chipotle Corn Soup
No CSA this week, though we do still have some daikon, collards and turnip greens to use up and a fair bit of turkey! Also an odd week with visitors and travels.
- Daikon fettuccine with sauce (out of a jar, probably with regular pasta for munchkin)
- Chicken and Collards Pilau (with barley)
- Turkey Báhn Mì, skipping the pâté (wow, got to use my accents there!)
Here’s the CSA haul for this week…now to figure out how to work it all into Christmas dinner and other meals for a crazy week: sweet potatoes, carrots, daikon, scallions, green and red cabbage, tatsoi, mint, broccoli, hakurei turnips, collards.
- I normally don’t link to PDFs, or recipes built to serve 48, but this Duck Carnitas Daikon Tacos looks doable. We’ll use chicken and scale down as needed.
- Ginger Beef Tatsoi, maybe adding the collards?
- Chipotle-Orange Broccoli and Tofu
- Grilled chicken and Hannah’s Buffalo Style Hakurei Turnips
- Christmas dinner to include sweet potatoes and a slaw with cabbage, orange and cranberries.
We’re starting to get a bit of a backlog of veggies that need to be used up, so some of these recipes may include things from last week. It is that time of year when one activity leads into another and we missed making a meal or two last week while running from work to concerts. This week looks similarly hectic, but we’ll do our best. The CSA veggies this week include: sweet potatoes (now we have enough for a good recipe), carrots, daikon, beets–already used up–one tatsoi that may be a bit small for much, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli , parsley and kale.
- Simmered Chicken with Daikon Radish
- We’ll have to do some improv, since the recipe has a link to another recipe which doesn’t seem to be working and both use peanuts, but Mushroom Kale Rice Bowls seem doable.
- We’ll need to prep this in advance: Cabbage and Onion Marmalade Pizza
- Burgers with something like this Carrot & Mizuna Salad
- The Sweet Potato Samosas we didn’t get to last week
- Hamburger Stir-Fry–using ground turkey.
Last week we had our first CSA veggie casualty–the really good looking head of butter lettuce froze in the fridge before we could use it
Luckily there’s more this week, so we can enjoy some. Here’s what’s in this week’s share: daikon, Napa cabbage, turnips, beets, chard, red and green lettuce, mint, braising mix, garlic chives, and collards.
- [Chicken] Nuggets with [Collards] and Bacon
- Asian Lettuce Wraps with Carrot and Daikon Pickles
- A modified version of [Chard and Broccoli] Quiche with [Purple] Sweet Potato Crust
- Salad with hard boiled eggs and veggies (tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, some garlic chives) with Turnips Anna (While there’s many recipes out there for this, many including bacon, like this tempting one, I couldn’t pass up the ease and coolness of the Cartoon Kitchen version).
- Sweet Potato Samosas
- Chicken of some sort with Roasted Beets, Cabbage and Apples
After a yummy and fun Thanksgiving meal with friends and family, and the awesome Salvadoran Pupusas con Cutrido from TheKitchn from last week’s menu (photos coming soon), I’m ready for some more tasty meals. Here’s this week’s CSA haul: kale, lettuce, tatsoi, sweet potatoes, beets, parsley, rutabagas, broccoli, spinach and scallions.
- Grilled sausages with Carrots and Rutabagas with Lemon and Honey
- A combination of Sweet Potato and Quinoa Tacos and Spinach and Sweet Potato Quesadillas: sweet potatoes, quinoa, spinach, adobo sauce, queso blanco, green pepper, black olives, scallions.
- [Chicken] and Egg Fried Rice with Napa Cabbage, adding broccoli (we still have 1/2 the cabbage from last week…and we just did shrimp, so mix it up and save the budget)
- Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce
- Beet salad with Corn Bread Croutons and [Bacon]
- Orecchiette with Sausage and Kale
- Mushroom and Tatsoi Soup (note this is for 1 serving) and grilled cheese sandwiches